Drop Down

[SWATCH] OPI - Mermaid's Tears

Wednesday 23 March 2016


OPI - Mermaid's Tears





This seafoam green is a long-time favourite of mine, which I bought years ago after seeing it on my friend's nails. It was released in the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides collection (I own the entire collection) years and years ago and is still as captivatingly pretty. If I were to create a colour for Mermaid's Tears, I'd probably pick a super girly sparkly-unicorn-pee sort of shade, but I'm glad I didn't because this is infinitely more magical.

Cost - RRP AUD$20

ALL PHOTOS ARE IN ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING AND HAVE:
  • Orly - Bonder
  • OPI - 2-3 coats of Mermaid's Tears
  • 3CE - Top Coat


Application


I've used this polish for years and the formula has not given up on me yet. It's neither too runny or thick and is very easy to manipulate and spread across the nails. I'm all praises for the ProWide brush as it works very well for my nails.

The first coat definitely goes on patchy unless you pile a very thick layer on. I tend to apply thinner layers as it dries faster but that results in a need to apply 2-3 coats. It wasn't too tricky to work with, however careful application is necessary to avoid unattractive patchiness.

Colour + Finish

This muted, pale green creme is intensely pretty. It's soft but mysterious, and gives my nails a sophisticated and mature aura despite the fact that it's an unconventional colour. I find that it's a very soothing and calming shade that does remind me of the sea depths. I feel that this is a green that should suit most skin tones and is a great way to venture into the sea of green polish if you've never charted these waters before.



It definitely performs like a creme, so there shouldn't be too much trouble getting an opaque and streak-free finish. The colour doesn't dry super glossy so it would probably benefit from a layer of top coat.



Longevity + Removal

Most of my nails remained incredibly shiny, with minimal wear even though I did a bout of spontaneous and vigorous spring cleaning. I did get a big fat wrinkle in my left thumb fairly early on, but I blame the top coat. Well, honestly I think that the longevity of the colour is mostly dependent on the top coat anyway.

NOOO IT STAINED ! I turned part goblin during removal, which was very easy and painless IF NOT FOR THE STAINING. I suggest careful removal and not to make too much contact with the surrounding skin.

Rating: 8/10

Thank you for reading !

No comments :