Drop Down

[SWATCH] OPI DS - Sapphire

Wednesday 17 February 2016



OPI DS - Sapphire




I wanted something special but not too in-your-face for a few events coming up soon (ALSO HOLIDAYSSSSS). This gem was a lucky find of mine a few years back because I honestly was not going to pay the exorbitant prices that are floating about nowadays for this polish - but LOOK, IT'S SO PRETTY.

ALL THE HOLO !

Cost - $$$

ALL PHOTOS HAVE:
  • Orly - Bonder basecoat
  • OPI DS - 3 coats of Sapphire
  • 3CE - Nail Lacquer Top Coat

Application


OPI's famous pro-wide brush works very well for me, because I'm still quite clumsy with my polish. The formula is slightly watery and the polish does go on fairly sheer on the first coat. It builds up nicely with 3 thin coats or 2 thicker coats if you're careful, otherwise the polish pools very easily. Even with 3 coats, I was still able to spot the nail line (if I stared very closely) but honestly, the crazy disco going on my nails hid that very well.

ALSO of important note, this polish is not for those with sensitive noses (not that any polish is), but I would recommend applying Sapphire near an open door/window because it absolutely stinks. This is due to the old formula used in the polish and I believe that OPI updated their formula after 2006. I'm fairly certain that this formula isn't '3 Free', which may be a concern for some.

Colour + Finish


It's blue, it's grey, its RAINBOW. Sapphire is like the pretty girl next door, but turns into a glamorous Hollywood celebrity during the day. She sparkles in direct light, with a strong linear holo on a base of pale blue-grey.


Direct sunlight - brings out the rainbow

In shade and dim light, she's a cool and chic grey-blue-purple-flashes of pink kinda polish. Sapphire's cool-toned blue would work fairly well with most skin tones despite the fact that she's light.
A silver-blue shade in indirect sunlight .

Still a pretty grey in the shade.

Longevity + Removal


I strongly believe that the longevity usually relies on the base and top coat used. In saying that, most brands of nail polish do tend to last at least more than half a week on my nails without major chipping. This polish managed to stay on for a good week with only tip wear, which is nothing too surprising for me. As long as big chunks don't come flying out on the second day, then I'm pretty happy.

Removal was pretty quick and painless, which was great. It's like having the dazzle of glitter polishes without needing to scrub your nails like 1820s laundry. Win win.

Rating: 8/10

Thank you for reading !