Drop Down

[SWATCH] Pony Effect Nail Lacquer: Sea Salt

Thursday 15 September 2016

I'm sure that if you're familiar with Asian beauty, you would know who Pony is. She's one of the most famous Korean make-up artists and has released her own line of products including several gorgeously packaged nail polishes. I jumped at the chance to get my hands on some and Sea Salt was one that I picked up. The packaging of her polishes are AMAZING. The bottle is a hefty, smooth glass bottle with a rose-gold cap, housed in individual rose-gold boxes (that is shiny enough to almost be a mirror). Read on to find out if it's just as beautiful inside as it is outside!


Cost - RRP AUD$7-8

ALL PHOTOS HAVE:
  • Innisfree Eco Base Coat
  • Pony Effect Nail Lacquer - 3 coats of Sea Salt
  • Poshe Super-Fast Drying Top Coat - 3 coats

Application


First of all, the brush is nice and flexible, giving you good control as you paint. It's probably similar to an Essie brush and fans out easily during application. But that is where the good part ends ... the formula on this one is a little bit of a disaster. The first coat goes on like a streaky, patchy mess, especially if you apply thin coats (which is what I tend to do). I applied the second coat a little thicker with a very light touch (the brush was barely touching the surface of my nail) and the coverage was better. However, it doesn't self level very well, so I had to apply everything as evenly as I could. I had to top everything off with a third coat because on some nails, the second coat wasn't quite even enough.





The last challenge was the top coat. This nail polish absolutely REFUSED to work with my top coat. I had to apply multiple layers of top coat because the polish kept shrinking around the sides, which never happens with any other polish that I have tried with my current top coat. Thus my cuticles in all the photos look like a war zone despite all my cleaning up efforts.

Colour + Finish


Sea Salt is a beautiful bright green leaning blue creme. It's like a Tiffany blue colour with a tad more green in it (I'm not sure your monitor would pick that up though). It is such a pretty colour and ALMOST worth the disastrous application, but it is definitely not unique. I'd probably recommend picking up China Glaze's For Audrey over this one, not just because of the better formulation, but due to the fact that Pony's nail polishes are a little more difficult to get your hands on outside of Korea. Otherwise, this colour would suit most skin tones and would be a nice change from your usual pinks and beiges without being too obnoxious.





Longevity + Removal


Most polish tends to last about a week on me with some minor tip wear. My mani started looking quite ugly 24 hours after application because the nail polish shrank a little more around the edges. Removal was like any other creme polish: fast and easy.

Rating: 5/10

Thank you for reading !

No comments :